Sunday, June 28, 2015

Another edition of what we know

Time for another edition of what we know, what we don't know.
We know I don't have breast cancer, first ever mammogram was normal.
We know my labs are pretty much the same, increased, steady, but not massively increased. Wbcs were a couple points higher, but not significant.
We know I am JAK2 negative.
We know my erythropoeitin is 9, normal range is 4-24.
We know my liver is enlarged, 10-12.5cm is one of the normal measurements, mine is 19.4cm. Yes, my liver hurts. I blamed it on gallbladder.

Seems like an awful lot of we knows for the ultimate we don't know.
We don't know the cause.

Two other docs have reviewed labs and are in agreement it's PV,
What they don't know is the why.

Apparently I'm not going into that nice little cookie cutter mode they expect of me.

A new word for today...myeloproliferative neoplasms. 


Myeloproliferative neoplasms (MPN) are a group of diseases that affect blood-cell formation. In all forms of MPN, a bone marrow problem leads to increased levels of blood cells circulating in the bloodstream.
  • “Myelo” refers to bone marrow, which is the body’s blood-cell factory.
  • “Proliferative” refers to the rapid growth and production of cells.
  • “Myeloproliferative” means increased growth and production of bone marrow and blood cells.
  • “Neoplasm” means an abnormal growth of cells. 

No comments:

Post a Comment