Monday, February 20, 2017

End of an Era part 2

I requested they take him to Sacred Heart. They discovered he had pneumonia. It was mild, but they used that and the decline in mental status to admit him. He went to the oncology floor.
It was a disaster in so many ways. Despite me having gone over his meds and his med routine with the reasons we did it the way we did. They were still wrong. They also immediately gave him haldol for agitation and anxiety. He was combative and resistant. I had to go in after work to give his meds because he fought them. I even spent the night to help out. He is still there.
.I requested palliative care. They came in and assessed him, and made the suggestion we go with hospice. I agreed to that.
They have diagnosed him with delirium and an EEG showed changes consistent with metabolic encephalopathy. The doctors have told me he will likely never come out of it, that he will likely stay how he is right now..
He's not the man I met. I miss him, and my heart is slowly breaking.
I have to decide between palliative care and hospice.              

No comments:

Post a Comment