Monday, August 22, 2016

Life With A Terminal Disease-or how we wait for death

Today a friend and her husband have been married 23 years.
I love seeing things like that. It used to make my heart ache every time I saw something like that. While happy for my friends and family, it still made me realize how short my ever after really will be. Life with terminal diseases sucks, but at the same time is a blessing.
 I know my forever after won't be as long as yours, my parents, my grandparents, and at the worst moments I ask myself "is this it, has my ever after ended today"? Will there be another day for us? Will he remember who I am tomorrow?(there have been recent days that no, he doesn't know me).
 I just take it day by day, and I try to make the most out of every minute  we will have together.
I was talking with my mom this morning about something I want to do, but know I can't until Lee is gone.  Mom  said "well that won't be for another 10-15 years".  Reality is, lewy body dementia prognosis is 5-7 years. The Parkinson's disease and leukemia are an issue, and there's a timer running out on those also. I take it Month to month, day to day, hour to hour, minute to minute, second to second, and count myself as lucky. We know it will end sooner rather than later. We can plan for it, I can plan for my future without him, and we can let ourselves live like today is our last day together.
I encourage everyone to live that way. Its not sick or morbid, its living for now instead of tomorrow because you never know what tomorrow will bring. Live, love, laugh, and make the most out of today.

No comments:

Post a Comment