Tuesday, June 14, 2016

We don't do dogs


I used to work at a nursing home. We had a resident who's dying wish was to have his dog cremated and their ashes mixed. So GH died. T was an old dog and had a lot of health problems so none of us had an issue with his wish. We made the arrangements well before G died. The day came and I stopped to pick T's ashes up on my way to work. Get to work and called the funeral home, as arranged with the director weeks before.


I sit down and call... "hello, I'm calling to arrange pick up of GH's dog T."


Funeral home1(FH)- " Ma'am, we don't do dogs"


 Me-"yes, I understand that but we made these arrangements weeks ago and we were told to call after the dog was cremated"


FH-"yes, well, there are places that dispose of animal remains, if you call the shelter they can direct you to one"


Me-"thank you, but can I speak to your supervisor"


FH-"yes ma'am but they will also tell you we don't do dogs."(then transfers me)


FH2- "hello ma'am, I understand you have a dog for us to pick up"


Me-"yes, he's ready to be picked up, you already have his owner GH"


H2-"but ma'am, we don't do dogs"


Me-"I understand you don't do dogs, the dog is already done, he just needs picked up, can I please talk to your supervisor"


FH2-"yes, but they will tell you the same thing"(transfers me again)


FH3- "good evening, I understand there is some confusion regarding animal remains, we don't do dogs but if you call this number..."


Me-(very short and irritated by this point) explains again and tells him to call the director the arrangements were made with.


FH3- agrees to call director who isn't on call that weekend but will have him call me.


FH4(director)-" I'm sorry for the confusion, apparently the message didn't get passed to the weekend on call, we will send someone out within the hour"


Me- thanks him and hangs up to wait for the pick up.


Almost exactly one hour later... In walks a dude looking at an index card, pushing a gurney with a body bag on top...stops by the desk.


Him -"I'm here to pick up T Hambert*"


Me-stands up picks, the box up, walks around the nurses station, sets the box on top of the body bag on the gurney "here is Mr. Hamberts* dog T"


 Him-"but ma'am, we don't do dogs"


Me-(as I'm sitting to start paperwork) "well today you do do dogs, have a nice night"


(He called the funeral home who had been notified of the irregular situation by this time, and was advised to return with the dogs remains immediately so they could get the dog done)


*name changed

No comments:

Post a Comment