Wednesday, December 18, 2013

Apple jelly.

The name seems so innocuous. So innocent. Yet it's the bane of my existence. I have yet to make it successfully. Berry jams, great. This I make up like pineapple coconut, great. Apple, not great.
First attempt - followed recipe to the letter. Boiled and ruined exactly. Measured exactly. It never set up.
Second attempt - boiled one minute longer. . Added half pack pectin more. It never set up.
Third attempt - added two boxes pectin, boiled a solid five minutes... and I'm still waiting. It's only been 12 hours, and I was told it can take a week for the pectin to react...so I will wait.
The first batch was made four months ago. And I'm still waiting.
While waiting I canned oranges. They look beautiful. No loss of liquid at all. There is nothing more fulfilling than that ping as the jars seal. I took the jars out of the water and I sat on a stool in front watching the syrup inside still boiling, listening for the ping. I'll easily amused sometimes.
Christmas...I have a love hate relationship with the holidays. I hate the never-ending "what do you want". This year I told them anything canning related. Well, kid two leaves Saturday to South Carolina to spend Christmas with her uncle and aunt. Mom is having a heart Cath today in prep for an upcoming surgery(valve replacement), and there is a small possibility she will be admitted after the Cath. So we decided to do Bekahs Christmas gifts last night.
She got me a case of pint jars. I am thrilled lol. I was low on pint and will be getting 21lbs of pineapple Saturday to can. Now I can do them in pints instead of quarts.
I admit, I am a dork.


No comments:

Post a Comment